KUSZ Americas Director Position Opening
The Kwan Um School of Zen Americas seeks to fill the position of KUSZ Americas Director. The current Director will be leaving at the beginning of June, and our plan is to have the new Director start in April or May to train alongside him for one or two months. This is a challenging position that requires a wide range of administrative, organizational, and communications skills, and the ability to think on one’s feet and act independently. If you are a member of the Kwan Um School of Zen and think you have the qualifications and expereince, please review the job description below and consider applying. Although non-profit experience would be ideal, someone who has owned a small business or managed in a small organization would have the “jack of all trades” range of skills we are looking for. The KUSZa offices are located at the Providence Zen Center in Cumberland RI. Preference will be given to candidates who can come to the office in person a majority of the time, but arrangements that include working remotely some of the time will be considered.
Resumes and questions should be sent to Paul Majchrzyk (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Ames Colt (email@example.com)
Paul Majchrzyk, JDPSN
for the KUSZ Americas Executive Committee ******************************************
KUSZ Americas Director Job Description
February 1, 2021
POSITION SUMMARY: Serves as the executive director for the Americas region of the Kwan Um School of Zen (KUSZa) and, as such, is responsible for all administration including finances, event planning and management, precepts and other ceremonies, membership, development, and staff management.
The KUSZa Director reports to the Executive Committee of the KUSZa Board of Trustees and supervises the KUSZa Membership and Bookkeeping staff. The Director works closely with Guiding Teachers, and with the leaders of KUSZa’s 38 Zen centers and groups, the management team of PZC, and the KUSZ International Initiative.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE: The ideal candidate would offer demonstrable or comparable skills and experience in:
- Managing a nonprofit, religious organization
- Event management (3-4 sangha gatherings annually at PZC)
- Membership services and database management
- Financial literacy: Knowledge of payment processing systems, budget management and reconciliation, and commonly-used financial reports (balance sheet, P&L, etc.) Familiarity with basic non-profit accounting
- Staff, payroll, and vendor management
- Ideally, a strong grasp of the history, teachings, and practice and ceremonial forms of the Kwan Um School of Zen.
- Written and oral communications skills
- Technology: Apple computers and MS Office for Mac; Member Databases (knowledge of Donorworks [CDM+] a plus); PayPal; Quickbooks; Squarespace; MailChimp; Zoom